Saturday, January 4, 2014

Letter M is for Mouse and #13

Day 1    Letter M     Theme:  Mouse   Number:  13
 Sign
In:  
Free Play in Learning Centers
Circle Time:
  Morning learning songs.  Introduce Letter M and review letters A-:L.  Read "My M Book."  Introduce #13 and review #’s 1-12.  Review the vowel song.   Begin blending consonants with short a sound. 

Snack:  We sorted M&Ms (Christmas ones so only red and green ones.  I gave each child a large handful of M&M's.  The children graphed how many red ones they had and how many green ones.
Bible:  Read story about Moses

Free Play in Learning Centers
Group Lesson:  Read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and do corresponding story strip.
Lunch/Rest
Gross Motor/Phys.Ed:  1.  Outdoor play if weather permits.  We have kind of gotten into a routine where, when we play outdoors, the children want me to chase them and try to catch them.  When our them of the week changes, I become whatever matches our theme and give chase!  I have been a Dinosaur for letter D, a Gorilla for letter G, and a Horse for letter H thus far.  Maybe for letter I Iguana might be appropriate!  For the letter J, it is the perfect time to become the Giant in Jack and the Beanstalk and give chase!    For letter K, I could be a King and give chase!  Aerobics inside:  I will put on some fun music and show the children some movements they can do for exercise:  kicks, jumping jacks, side to sides, knee raises, hamstring curls--this is a little introduction to aerobics!
Art/Fine Motor: Draw a Winter Scene:  Give students chalk, glitter glue, cotton balls, etc. and ask them to draw anything that reminds them of winter.
Free Play
Review/Pack up/Dismissal


Day 2    Letter M     Theme:  Mouse   Number:  13
 Sign
In:  
Free Play in Learning Centers
Circle Time:
  Morning learning songs.  Letter M and review letters A-:L.   #13 and review #’s 1-12.  Review the vowel song.   Begin blending consonants with short a sound.  Read a mouse-themed book (I always am on the lookout for books that correspond to my themes each week, so I often have 5-10 books based on my themes.

Snack
Bible:  Read story about Moses

Free Play in Learning Centers
Group Lesson:  See how many number 13's you can make!  I printed out many #1's and cut them out, and I printed out many #3's and cut them out.  The children are to look for the hidden numbers (I will hide them around the house) and then try to make as many #13's as possible by putting their found numbers together!  Human Clock:  My daughter printed out the numbers on a clock on a sheet of paper, so #'s 1-12.  She placed them on the floor as they would appear on a clock, so in circular formation.  She made two clock hands, the larger hand and the smaller hand.  She explained how o'clock means the long hand is pointing to the 12 (the minute hand) and the short hand will point to whatever hour of the day it is.  The children caught on right away and enjoyed when my daughter asked them to make it 7 o'clock, then 8 o'clock and so on. 
Lunch/Rest
Gross Motor/Phys.Ed:  1.  Outdoor play if weather permits.  We have kind of gotten into a routine where, when we play outdoors, the children want me to chase them and try to catch them.  When our them of the week changes, I become whatever matches our theme and give chase!  I have been a Dinosaur for letter D, a Gorilla for letter G, and a Horse for letter H thus far.  Maybe for letter I Iguana might be appropriate!  For the letter J, it is the perfect time to become the Giant in Jack and the Beanstalk and give chase!    For letter K, I could be a King and give chase!  Aerobics inside:  I will put on some fun music and show the children some movements they can do for exercise:  kicks, jumping jacks, side to sides, knee raises, hamstring curls--this is a little introduction to aerobics!
Art/Fine Motor: Macaroni stringing.  I purchased macaroni and will provide string.  The children will practice fine motor skills by stringing the macaroni into bracelets or necklaces.  I am going to also test and see if I can turn the macaroni colors by using food coloring.  I will try this WITH the children as an additional experiment.  If it does not work, then we find out together.  We can talk about hypotheses, etc., and see how this works!
Free Play
Review/Pack up/Dismissal


Day 3    Letter M     Theme:  Mouse   Number:  13
 Sign
In:  
Free Play in Learning Centers
Circle Time:
  Morning learning songs.  Letter M and review letters A-:L.  #13 and review #’s 1-12.  Review the vowel song.   Begin blending consonants with short a sound.  Read a mouse-themed book.  Letter M hunt.  I will hide many letters of the alphabet around the room (I have printed them from my computer).  The children will be asked to find only letter M's!

Snack
Bible:  Read story about Moses

Free Play in Learning Centers
Group Lesson:  How many Cookies?  I will provide a cookie jar and some cut-outs of chocolate chip cookies.  I will also need dice.  The children will take turns rolling the dice.  They will count the number of dots they roll.  They will choose that many cookie cut-outs to put into the cookie jar (or take out of the jar, depending on how you want to do it). 
Lunch/Rest
Gross Motor/Phys.Ed:  1.  Outdoor play if weather permits.  We have kind of gotten into a routine where, when we play outdoors, the children want me to chase them and try to catch them.  When our them of the week changes, I become whatever matches our theme and give chase!  I have been a Dinosaur for letter D, a Gorilla for letter G, and a Horse for letter H thus far.  Maybe for letter I Iguana might be appropriate!  For the letter J, it is the perfect time to become the Giant in Jack and the Beanstalk and give chase!    For letter K, I could be a King and give chase!  Aerobics inside:  I will put on some fun music and show the children some movements they can do for exercise:  kicks, jumping jacks, side to sides, knee raises, hamstring curls--this is a little introduction to aerobics!
Art/Fine Motor: Mouse masks and Letter M Mice! 
Free Play
Review/Pack up/Dismissal
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment